Skip to main content


A GUIDE TO CONDUCTING A CLASSROOM WASTE AUDIT

A classroom waste audit is a great way to engage your students in a discussion about waste management. By collecting waste samples from around your school, students undertaking this process are able to gain a valuable insight into their collective waste management practices. It also provides the opportunity to open up a dialogue with your school about ways that waste management practices can be improved. 

Our students exist within the throw-away culture of the 21st century, where it’s far easier to buy a new product than to replace, repair and regenerate existing items.

However, it’s not all bad news. With more recycling options available than any other time in history, it is becoming easier and easier for individuals to make simple - yet hugely beneficial - changes to their waste management practices. Ideally, this activity will get your students thinking about their decision making processes in regards to disposing of their waste and help guide them to make better choices. 

So without further delay, here’s the FISCH + ED guide to conducting a classroom waste audit:



A full set of waste audit instructions, report template and reflection questions is available here: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/SCHOOL-WASTE-AUDIT-ACTIVITY-3210153 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DEMOCRACY 3 - HOW DID THE ACTIVITY GO?

I recently posted about an activity that I was attempting to implement for the first time in my politics and economics class. In the previous post, I had introduced the game Democracy 3 to my students to familiarise them to how the game functions. Since the first introductory class, I have introduced an assignment whereby students are required to record and analyse every decision that they make in the simulation. I had some trepidation as I distributed the assignment to the students. I desperately wanted the class to enjoy the activity, as the game acts as a perfect tool to bring together the political and economic concepts that I had sought to share. Ninety-minutes later, it was clear that the activity was a success. Almost too much of a success. The students were so engrossed in the activity that it was taking far longer than I had anticipated. As I had set the task to be completed in pairs, the students were discussing every decision and considering a range of alternativ

NEGOTIATION AND CONFLICT

At university, one of my favourite subjects was concerned with conflict and negotiation. I've always found this topic interesting, and I believe the interest originally stemmed from my interest in cars. As a child, my father and I would often go to car yards just to look at the latest model cars and toy with the car dealers. In particular, I remember my father negotiating with a dealer on Christmas Eve regarding the purchase of a new car, getting as far as looking at options before telling the poor dealer that he had better check with my mum before proceeding further. Another favourite was a dealer who tried at least four or five different tactics with my father, from telling him he wasn't serious and not to waste his time, to smooth talking and trying to charm him. The funniest part was at the time we were looking to purchase a car for my sister and the poor guy totally blew it. This topic also makes me think about my father's favourite line - 'I love negot
We live in a world where fashion retailers can, if they choose to, take a design from paper to the store in under a month. Whilst this means that we can gain access to on-trend items quickly, cheaply and easily, it also means that clothing is being produced, and disposed of, at an alarming rate. In 2014 over 100 billion items of clothing were produced worldwide, equating to around 4 items of clothing per person living on Earth. Traditionally, 'seasons' of fashion were limited to two a year- warm weather and cold weather. It then expanded to the four seasons of the year that most temperate climates experience. In 2017, some retailers are looking between 9-11 'seasons', with clothing being removed from stores as early as a month after going on the shelves. Herein lies the origin of the term fast fashion , goods that are produced quickly and cheaply, and often of a poor quality. The advent of fast fashion has resulted in a throw-away culture emerging in the west